Monday, May 21, 2007

Focusing the lens: project refinement

Today I met Ron in the classroom to discuss options for my audio piece but my concept wasn't quite hammered out. I think I got some good suggestions from the class discussion yesterday. Don't let it get boring. That was definitely a fear of mine. Ron suggested doing a videography of the walk from point A to point B but I think that's almost too literal. I like the idea of starting from a train station and branching out to another place that was very different. But I was struggling with the theme. Is this gonna be a piece about "trad vs mod" "public vs private" "busy vs quiet?" Hm to many options.

Luckily, I ran into another student "ken" who was familiar with the minato-ku neighborhood. I explained my ideas and he suggested a great spot not too far from my original block. Helen and I checked it out and here it is:




It's a little park that sits atop a hill and it's got some great features.

This reminds me of zen rock garden. These benches look traditional, perhaps they're for meditation?








This plastic hut pays homage to the naive peoples of the area.









Plastic peoples.









Fenced in flower garden is open on Sundays.









Entrance.









Path through the flower bed.









Considering this discovering, I could begin my journey from Tamachi station and walk to the park and end in the flowerbed. Im not sure if I want to work with "old vs new." If so it would be easy to compare technically advanced city with the naive people inside the plastic hut. Maybe I should do "busy vs quiet" and move from the chaotic station near a 6 lane expressway to a peaceful park with a narrow dirt path through flowers.

I'm a little concerned because parts of this idea now remind me of the animation that a student did previously. However I don't think that means I can't use what I have. It may have a similar theme but once I begin to create my book and sound piece, it will be evident that the two are not related.

I'm also considering a new format. My project is about making a journey and following a path. It reminds me of a treasure hunt or a pirate with a treasure map. Also those ancient Japanese scrolls come to mind, the ones that you hold in both hands and wind so the story progresses. I'm not sure what you think. We will have to discuss it in class.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Danielle,
I love the pictures, especially the guy sleeping on the park bench. I like your idea about a treasure hunt, which too me is a type of path.
I think you probably can get some unique ideas out of this one.
Mom

gregory said...

intergrating the sound and print is key. you don't want it to be awkward.